Saturday 25 August 2012

London 2012 10/08/12

Treated myself to a lie-in this morning but when I eventually got up, I found I had a text from Chris Taylor asking to meet him at Trafalgar Square at 2. I got ready and met up with Taylor Bussick, a BSU graduate who was making a documentary on the teams time down in London. In the taxi on the way down to Trafalgar Square he set his camera up and did a short video interview with me which he said would feature in his documentary.

It didn't take long to find the team as they were right at the top of the Square overlooking Nelson's Column, Big Ben and the unusual sunny London skyline. Chris Taylor greeted me and explained the BSU sports team were making a 60 minute feature film on their time at the Olympics. Professional cameras were set up facing towards BSU students dressed in smart suits set up with mics ready to pitch their stories.



The professionalism the team conducted was second to none. It was like clockwork, members working on audio, cameras, directing, behind the scenes film crew and members refraining the public from getting in the way of the filming. I was asked to join in and that was an offer I couldn’t refuse!

I helped with the audio setting and managed one of several cameras before being asked to be apart of the film. I was set up with a mic and took position next to student sports anchor Pat Boylan before taking part in an interview. We spoke about what it means to have the Olympics in my home country as well as how I've used that to my advantage being a Journalist reporting on the Games. I was told to end the interview with “Cheers Mate”, as I had to be typically British! I later found out that the feature film would be aired on BSU campus and even ESPN! Chris said he would email me the DVD when finished editing.

http://ballstatesports.com/
We then moved closer to Big Ben as they had a story to pitch on an American athlete who was ironically nicknamed “Big Ben”. As they filmed I was approached again by Taylor Bussick who was also directing the behind the scenes film and asked me if I wanted to take part in that too. After swiftly agreeing I was filmed explaining what was going on in the background (BSU filming) and spoke about what I've been up to over the last two weeks at the Games. Again Taylor told me the behind the scenes film would be aired on BSU campus TV and radio and would email me the finished material.


Before we packed the equipment up to leave Chris asked me if I would do a video postcard to the BSU President, Jo Ann Gora which I thought was a great idea. The fact that the President of BSU will see me personally give a message on behalf of the University of Worcester and more importantly myself is overwhelming. The realisation that I had no idea about reporting for the Olympics months ago to now be delivering a personal thank you to the President of BSU is phenomenal. I thanked her for the opportunity I've been given and about the new relationship I've built with the BSU team along with how the experience will benefit my career. Chris said I should get a response which would be fantastic for my portfolio.

Everyone was having a quiet night in after a long day filming but I made my way down to Hyde Park to see one of my favourite bands, Feeder performing on behalf of BT London Live. However still in a journalist mindset I invited my friend Zachary Park who was on a week long job trial in London. He's a semi professional photographer and bought one of his best cameras with him. We teamed up to cover Hyde Park for interviews and met a woman who expressed how much of a big role Hyde Park has played in the Olympics as it brings thousands together through sport, culture and music.

Eventually after a long hard working we enjoyed the rest of the concert and went out for a few drinks as it was Zac's 21st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment